Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sometimes I Just Start Sewing...

I scored some pretty big fabric scraps from Ikea the other day and decided I would make a simple bag for Korah to schlep her stuff to and from school. Reversible sounded like a good idea...then we could have both fabrics! Sometimes I forget that I don't know how to sew. I never use patterns; I just make it up as I go (kind of like how I cook). I almost had an aneurysm trying to figure it out...but I did it! I can't believe we actually ended up with a reversible, functional bag! I'm serious... I'm not saying I'm awesome here -- I'm saying this was a frickin' miracle!

Do you see that? POCKETS. Okay, now you can call me awesome.

I only had patience for a pocket on one side, though. So you'll either have a pocket on the outside or the inside, not both.

This is the reverse side! It's basically two separate straps that you tie and untie at the top when you want to switch it around.*


So with the fabric I didn't use to make a pocket for the other side, I decided to make a little tiny purse for the arsenal of lipgloss my daughter likes to keep in her desk at school. Another miracle happened and I actually had velcro lying around, brand-new! (Why do I have that? Where did that come from?!)
I had enough fabric to make two, so I made one for Morgen as well. I added an "M" so they could tell them apart. I love it!

And then... I couldn't help it. I just kept sewing!
The kids keep ogling the Ugly Dolls at New Seasons. I was like, "no way am I paying twenty-five bucks for that. I'm a novice sewer...I can make an ugly...doll!" (Ha!)

So I grabbed an old, worn sweatshirt, turned it inside-out and sketched out a monster. Taylor -- a handwork ninja -- helped with the features, and...

Voila!
Meet Barnes. He's pretty ugly. And nubby. Very asymmetric.
Gosh, I think Barnes needs a belly button...

Oh but Barnes, you have beautiful eyes. Don't be sad.

We all (me and my peanut gallery) decided that Barnes was for Noble.
Barnes and Noble. Has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think?

I think he likes it.

**I got the idea for that bag at Imago Dei's DIY craft bizarre one year. I can't remember who was doing that booth...somebody legitimately awesome. Keep an ear out for it this year (usually a few months before Christmas) and check it out! So fun!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

dang. those are awesome!

KatieO said...

wow!!!!! you're awesome. I resist sewing much because I hate patterns! But I love the MIUAYG method and you executed it fabulously!

w said...

...Make It Using Anything You've Got?

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

So I've had a sewing machine in my bedroom for weeks now, mocking me.

You've inspired me to try something, although sadly the seamstress genes may have bypassed me.

Michelle said...

Great creations. The kids and I are going to make some fleece mittens soon.

Kosel Family said...

Your awesome, I would never even have the patience to try it :) I love the bag, I'm thinking more of them on Etsy ;)

KatieO said...

no no! Make It Up As You Go!

Amber said...

i think it should be
Make It Up And You're Great!

les said...

just got some ikea fabric. i am so excited to steal a few ideas from you!

tabitha jane said...

you are so crafty. i love it :)