I wanted to do something special for my 100th post, but I'm having a hard time thinking it's really any kind of accomplishment. After all, it's taken me three and a quarter years to get to this point. I lack direction, struggle with purpose, and have no idea who my audience is.
Well, that's not entirely true. I like to talk about myself, purge the thoughts in my noggin, show off my funny kids, make you laugh and hopefully get a little writing practice in there while I'm at it. And this isn't the only place I'm writing. There's the recipe blog that seems to have lost interest in itself; there's my reading blog, wherein I talk about my book group for a project we're attempting, and there's my secret, anonymous blog where I live out the stuff that is too painful and misunderstood to tell just anybody. Then there's my journal -you know, where I write with a pen-- where I mainly just cuss out my husband, scribble crappy poetry and pray.
I recently realized I'm one of those
crazy amazing moms with a house-full of boys.
If I don't take this very seriously, it's because there are just so many blessed responsibilities in my days that call for my seriousness (even serious silliness) that there just aren't enough hours in the day. And nowadays, everymom's got a blog, everymom's a writer, everymom's a photographer....I just don't have a lot of motivation at the end of the day to join the ranks and try to stand out. At the same time, I seriously love doing this! It's incredible how I can be (like many mamas) content with my busy mama stuff and at the same time have a deep longing to get smarter, dig deeper, reach higher, nurture the art and beauty inside me that has nothing to do with keeping children alive.
Ahhh... deep thoughts.
Here are a few stats from my blog, just for fun:
- I've posted 21 hand-painted greeting cards (and a few other paintings). I was surprised at this at first and thought, no wonder I ran out of materials! And I thought maybe I should start an Etsy shop like many kind friends have suggested. And then I realized...that's over the course of 3 years. Oh. The day I have time for Etsy is the day I have time for a dog...I'm just sayin'.
- I've done 5 book reviews just this year. This is a fact that impresses me because those things are hard, they hold so many expectations! I finally said screw-it, I don't know how to do a book review, I'm just gonna talk about how this book is meeting me where I'm at.
- I haven't really pegged the labeling system, but according to the labels, I mostly blog about myself and Micah.
- My favorite post is this one. I read it again and tears rolled down my cheeks remembering, remembering...this is what Jesus looks like to me.
- I got the most comments on Purging, Lent, and Donald Miller on Farming. I re-read it just now and I'm re-inspired to Purge! I'm also re-inspired to share more of what happened during that Lent season (we were too busy doing it to blog about it).
Which brings me to all the things hanging over my head that I said I would blog about but have instead walked away whistling, like my Dad used to do when us kids would break a toy in the store. So before I do too much more, I promise (gulp!) to tie up loose ends about the following subjects:
- Art 365 Daily
- Our Anniversary
- My Birthday
- Korah's Birthday
- "What the...." Wednesday
- Fugly Friday
...even though the last 2 are ongoing, not really to be "tied up".
Now that's in writing, I have to do it, unless I flake out some more, which is likely. Raise your glasses with me, please...
"HERE'S TO THE NEXT 100! CHEERS!" (clink! clink!)
Photo credit: me (chalk counting by Taylor), Aaron Courter Photography, me again (at a Cirque du Soleil demonstration)