Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Elizabeth

When I am alone, and it's quiet,
My heart is heavy--again--with Elizabeth.

I met her once;
She probably never remembered me
But I thought of her
Every time I'd hear about Elisabeth Elliot
Or Quito, or being a woman
Who brought glory to God with her obedience, her life.

Elizabeth introduced me to Elisabeth
And she was that kind of woman herself.
I knew this because of how deeply
She was loved
And esteemed
By my friend, who would be her husband.

We've lost touch
And I've never known them together, but
I'd want him to know that of the handful of women
Who have made the biggest impact on my life
His wife was one of those women.
And we only met once.

It is so sad to think of knowing
a reason to understand the Psalms:
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
It seems absurd, almost laughable
To think of Liz--truly knowing now--the rest:
I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
for he has been good to me!*
My tears are such an odd mix
Flavored with pity, sorrow, praise,
gratefulness, sadness, hope
and love

For a Savior
Who has a new friend by his side
Who still loves us and watches us
Who still knows and cares for us
Who has promised salvation and singing!

And again
She shows me our Savior, our Daddy
And I see Him a little bit clearer.

The emptiness she leaves behind is gaping
But because of her obedience, her life
HE is able to fill it.

And to think
I only met her once.


*Taken from Psalm 13, NIV

No comments: