Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blogging for Books

A while ago, I noticed that my friend Emily, who is a wellspring of good ideas, had began blogging reviews for WaterBrook Multnomah Publishers. Wanting to someday be writing for bacon, or at the very least for an audience I consider larger than just my mom, I thought this might be a good idea for me, too.

Well, I got the first book to read and review: a devotional. I'm not sure I should even write about it; the review was supposed to be posted back in December and I'm so embarrassed that I flaked out on my first gig! But I did not like this book. I might go so far as to say it was torture to try and get through it. Not only did I have a huge stack of more pressing and inviting books and novels on my nightstand, but I am not a big fan of devotionals. My impression of devotionals is that they are some person's brief summation of an idea or passage from the Bible...and I am highly suspicious of people interpreting the Bible for me. In fact, God does that for me just fine, thanks to the Holy Spirit, the breath of the Almighty. (Haha! Is that irony that I should link to a verse there, or is that just the Truth?)

So I chickened out. I couldn't let my first review be "I hated it. It was torture." Even now, I keep deleting sentences because my judgment is so harsh. I guess I could go on and on about christian puns and why I don't think the stories were told well, but this isn't a review.

Now that I've finally got that crazy green button in the sidebar, and I've got a book to review that I enjoy and can relate to, I think I'm good to go. It's supposed to be posted this week, but since I only turn into a blogger at the stroke of midnight and I'm spent from all that [deleted] ranting, I'll have to come back later.

If you are interested in reviewing books for Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group (you get a free book and a little air-time out of it, sa-weet!), click here.


PS: If you love devotionals, I now have two to give away. Email me if you're interested!

No comments: